As the last of the snow is finally melting, we are excited to start setting our sights on summertime – the time for camps and the unforgettable experiences they offer kids.
All camps are different. Our summer camps have a focus on wildlife, nature, challenge, and outdoor skills. We strive to provide some of the best camp experiences around and focus on getting kids connected to the natural world.
ACNW summer camps provide kids with opportunities for personal growth as well as a safe, fun environment where they can:*
- soar to new heights traversing our high ropes course with a fun zip-line ride at the end
- learn how to build an outside shelter and start a fire without matches
- discover how to navigate through the woods using only a compass
- canoe and swim on beautiful clear Grindstone Lake
- perfect their target skills with atlatl throwing and archery practice
- figure out how to traverse our low ropes course as a team without touching the ground
- build campfires and learn how to cook over an open fire
- gaze in wonder at the universe of stars in the night sky overhead
- experience the thrill and adrenaline rush of rafting down the St. Louis River
- bait a hook and try to land a fish or two
- realize a personal first by making it to the top of our climbing wall
- ascend Ely’s Peak near Duluth by climbing the face and/or walking up the trails
- get a close-up look at the macroinvertebrates, insects, reptiles & amphibians around us
- gain new insights into the lives of animals through behind-the-scenes visits
- … and participate in many other exciting activities that are part of our camp experience
* not all activities are included in all camps
ACNW, located on the east shore of Grindstone Lake by Sandstone, MN, is about halfway between the Twin Cities and Duluth, just 5 miles west of I-35. All of our youth camps are overnight/residential – 5 nights/6 days. Campers will be lodged in dorm-style rooms. Arrival is at 3:00-4:00 p.m. on Sunday and pick-up is at 1:00 p.m. Friday.